Monday, January 15, 2007

An England Story

I was once asked to put up some of my drawings online. Most of them are to big to scan . . .well OK there was one but i gave it away and I did not make a copy, it was a close up of an eagle.

I do however, promise to work on a smaller one which I can scan, as soon as I have some extra time to devote to drawing. In the mean time I can leave you with something I wrote while in England. But first the story that goes with it.

It was my day off... no kids to take care of and to top it off I was invited to go for a boating trip on the broads(which are sadly just man made canals that you can not swim in without getting sick). The couple that invited me attended the little Baptist church I visited weekly in a near by village(Martham). It was allot of fun and a great way to see the country side. At one point during the trip I was bitten by something, what it was we are not sure but it hurt allot. After awhile the sting and burn of the bite went away and I gave it very little thought.
UNTIL...
later on that night while I was attending bible study(for the first time) I started to feel quite ill. That is an understatement I fell ill VERY VERY QUICKLY. My head hurt like nothing I had ever experienced and my whole body felt like it would burn someone if they were to touch me. I could barely keep my eyes open cause the stung so badly. Trying to "save face" and my pride I quietly excused myself to the Loo where I immediately splashed cold water on my face. When I came back down the stairs the Bible Study was already over(I must have been drowning myself in water for allot longer then I thought) and everyone was waiting for me to return cause they had noticed that I did not look so well. All I could tell them was . . . "my head hurts" in a sad little whimper and apologized for going home so early.

When I finally got home, Jan was there(the mom of the children I looked after). She was in bed already for the night reading a book when I walked into her room and stood there crying my eyes out. I felt like such an idiot but I just did not know what else to do.

Jan took my temperature and then looked at me with really big eyes... and said "you are going to be OK." She turned around and ran into the bathroom and started to fill the bath tub with water... she yelled out to me from the bathroom
"You will be OK your temp. is not too high, just sit down I do not want you falling over."
I sat down but little did I know that I would not be standing up again on my own for two days.
I slept thorough most of it but I clearly remember hearing Jan and Greg standing outside my bedroom discussing what they should do. Greg wanted to take me to the Doctor but Jan was worried that they would put me in the hospital and it would cost me allot of money up front that I did not have(and would not get reimbursed until I returned to Canada, traveling insurance I tell you!) I remember hearing her say that she thought I was over the worse of it and that if I did not continue to get better then she would drive me to the Doc's. Well thank the Lord I did get better. I wrote this little thingy the third day into the sickness, when I was able to think more clearly and sit up in bed...

In life and death
IMy body and soul are not my own,
Belonging to something far greater
than the weak parishing bodies of this world.
I am at peace with the fact
that that I am a creation from above,
and will one day return there to glorify the three in one.

No comments: